In 1952 Red House was taken over by two families, the Hollambys and the Toms who set about restoring it as both a house and home. In the forty years since much has been done to revitalise the original feeling of the house whilst ensuring that it serves its purpose and holds to the original principles. Though by 1965,other occupants had moved on, Doris and Ted Hollamby continued to bring the house back to life. At the same time they ensured that it was opened up to the public and that its reputation as a landmark building was restored. In the late 1990’s a Red House Trust and The Friends of Red House were set up to support the Hollambys and to ensure the long-term protection of the house.
Very sadly, Ted died unexpectedly in late 1999. He is sorely missed as a mentor and advisor by the Friends. Doris left the house in the summer of 2002 and the family subsequently sold Red House to the National Trust. Doris herself died in February 2003.